Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Mountain Bike Nationals 2015

We woke up really early to start the drive to Mammoth. My mom woke me up about 4:30 and we had to pick up my grandma. It was only my mom, my grandma and me because my dad got his new job and couldn't bail on them. It was a 4-5 hour drive.




When we got there, I talked to my coach Julie Young for a little bit and then we got my race packet. Then we watched the 15-16 girls. I thought it would be good to watch the start. It turned out a group of girls got caught in a huge wreck and one of the girls may have broken a bone. Half the field got caught behind, including my friend Kayla. Kayla had a bad asthma attack because she pushed it a tad too hard up the hills. After that race was over, my mom said "Welcome to Mammoth" which I didn't find funny. We left the village and went to the hotel that was only 5 minutes away.

Race Day
My mom woke me up at 5:30 so we could get a coach's number plate and she could go on the course with me. The pre-ride time was 7-8am. The course was very loose and rocky. Also, it was either up or down. The start had a solid line to the right or a very dangerous line to the left with a few inches of loose cinders. The rest of the course was cinders and loose dirt. It went up to a short flat and the hill the downhill course. It was really fun. After the pre-ride, I watched my friends Bryce and Nathan race the 17-18 men race. They both finished. Then we went back to the hotel to rest and eat lunch.
                                                 

Race Time
When I got back to the village I was VERY nervous. I went for my warm up ride and then got in the call up chute. I am almost sure I got the last call up position and was very pleased to be on the right side of the line. I had a good start but only passed one person the whole race. I finished 23rd and had lots of fun.





I thank Roseville Cyclery for keeping my bike performing so well. A special thank you to Julie Young for teaching me how to be the best I can be. And an even more special thanks to my parents for letting me go.


No comments:

Post a Comment