Tuesday, December 1, 2015

NorCal State Championship Cyclocross

Cyclocross champs 11/29/15

I was excited to go to the race by Scotts Valley. We booked our hotel, which was nice, and did some recon the day before race day, for the location of the race. Thankfully for us we did that because our Garmin took us about 2 miles passed the race venue. After some driving, we finally found the location and noted some stuff. Once we left, we checked into our room and went to the beach. I have never seen so many dogs off leash at the dog friendly beach. It didn't make me feel better when the kids boogie boarding were wearing wetsuits, the water was FREEZING cold. After that we checked out some surfing and sea otters and went back to the car when I got too cold. I changed clothes and we headed out for burgers. Finally, after drooling over the old Victorian homes, we stopped at Betty's Burgers. I wolfed down a big burger and then we headed back to our big hotel.



The next morning, we loaded everything up and went to the race. I got to see my friend and team mate Hank. I pre-rode the course and liked the single track and run-ups but I DID NOT like the frozen bumps on most of the course. When the whistle blew, I got a great start and beat some of the 13/14 year olds. I got passed by one kid and was demoted to 2nd. Unlucky in that he was the fastest kid there so he left me in the dust. I had a solid rest of the cold race and finished 2nd. I was excited about the result but not the two and a half hours for the podium. I thank Roseville Cyclery and O2 Fitness for the support and training.  I also thank Specialized and Castelli for the sponsorship.








No comments:

Post a Comment