Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 Sacramento Cyclocross


Race #1 - Orangevale Park
I was so excited when I got to the first Sac CX race. I looked at this course last year but I had just come from a triathlon so I couldn't race. I pre-rode the course and loved the big sand pit, mini trail and the auditorium steps. When I lined up, I saw that there was a massive amount of kids at the line. I made the mistake of thinking that the 14 and under were starting alone. I didn't know that we were starting with the 15-18. I had an ok start but I bounced back when I went around the soccer fields.. I loved the course and rode everything on it. I finished the race and got 3rd place. I thank Jennifer and Clint for putting on the race and also Roseville Cyclery for the sponsorship.

Race #2 - Maidu Park
I had an advantage on this course because I helped with set up the day before so when I arrived I already knew what to expect. What I didn't expect was to fall over on my pre-ride. Of course, it had to happen on my 3 day old CX bike. For the CX racers, it was the section before the run-up barriers. I tried to un-clip my left foot for a dismount and didn't quite un-clip. The bad part was the race photographer on the hill watched the whole thing. Alright, race line up. When I lined up, I saw some good competition. I got a good spot right behind Cole and Aiden. Cole and I went back and forth the WHOLE race. He passed me on the barriers and I passed back on the flats. Aiden ran down the steep hill before the run up and got his bike stuck on a post so I thought 'well now it's just me and Cole.' I was wrong. I had a pretty good race with Aiden coming in just .01 seconds ahead of me and a photo finish with Cole. I finished fourth. Thanks to the Claassens, yes even Logan, for making an awesome course. I also thank Roseville Cyclery for helping me own my AWESOME and AMAZING CX bike.

Race #3 - Lange Twins
This race I was nervous that it was going to be raining like the weather said it was supposed to. Luckily it didn't rain. When I pre-rode the course I saw that it was almost the same as last year. You could clearly see the tire tracks from last year. I liked the course better this year because of the road and sandpits. At the start, I got pushed all the way to the 3rd row. When we started, I was DEAD last and quickly moved up to top 5 at the top of the arch. I had a great race and finished 3rd.

Race #4 Lakeside
After the past results, I was excited to see how I would end up this race. When I pre-rode the course, I noticed there was a long paved  uphill, a long paved road to gravel transfer. I really hoped that somehow they would change that. Luckily, they did. There was a wall run up with steps which didn't give me problems during the race.

I had a great start and was in an ok spot. I had some passing to do and I had to do it quickly before my competition rode away. I made a good move on Aiden and Cole and attacked as soon as I passed them so I could see whether or not I could keep my lead. I ended up keeping my lead and trying to catch up to Nate. Of course I couldn't but I had an amazing race and finished in 3rd. Thanks to Julie Young for the training and Roseville Cyclery for, you guessed it, the awesome bike.

Race #5 Lembi Park
After getting 3rd again, I wanted to move higher up. I rode the course and absolutely did every section again. Not because I disliked it, just because I loved it. The off camber downhill slope was easier at my race time as later races it was slick as ice due to the rain. I got a great  start right behind Nate but he already leaving me. I got passed by one kid and then about three 7 year old kids. Aiden also got caught behind them. Once I finally got around them and it was just Aiden and I, it was a close race. I would pass him over the barriers and he would pass me after the sand and tight corners. We went back and forth a lot. I had a good race and finished second. I'm sorry that Clint dislocated his shoulder while doing superman slides. Thanks to Roseville Cyclery, Julie Young and Specialized Bikes.

Race #6 Gibson Ranch
I was a little timid about racing my CX bike on such a muddy and cold course, while it was pouring rain too. We brought both my mountain bike and my cx bike. After my pre-ride, I thought the mountain bike would be best but then I thought about the banks and a few other tough spots. I eventually decided to race with my cx bike. Once I finished my pre-riding, I got very cold, very fast. I got to the car and warmed up a bit. I absolutely LOVED this race course though. When George sounded the siren, we all took off. I had a great start and didn't have one little kid in front of me. I kinda let Cole and Aiden in front of me so I wouldn't burn myself out. First of all, when it starts pouring rain, do not wear glasses. I had to toss them to my mom before the first lap was over.  I had to run up a lot of mud hills. All of the tracks by the lake were 4-5 inches deep in the mud, maybe even more in some spots. While it was still sprinkling, heavy winds made the rain pound on my face. I was still warm under my clothes. I had a good race, made a few passes and finished 2nd. I thank Castelli Clothing and Specialized for the gear and the bike. Also, Claassens for setting up the best course yet and Roseville Cyclery for the support and bike.

Race #7 Miller Park
I had a good start to the race and moved into the best spot I could - 2nd place. I stayed in that spot until I almost got taken out by an out of control 15-18. Once I was past him, I held my ground I came up the very steep hill from the river and was nearly passed by Aiden. I went as fast as I could to try and stay ahead.It worked but it also took a lot of energy. The next obstacle was the roots. I made it 2/3 of the times I tried it. It was a smoother course except for the barriers. I successfully shouldered my bike and ran over them 1 time but made a few little mistakes the other two times. I had a great time and finished 2nd. Thanks to all of the people who set up the course.

Race #8 Sac Raceway LAST ONE
My starting position at this race was ok because they used the drag strip and it was very wide. It was a flat course though except for a steep run up and a hill. I had a great start and stuck with the leader, Paul, for a little bit. Once off of the raceway. I caught up to Aiden after he dropped me on the raceway and passed him after the run up hill. It was at the far end of the course. On my second lap I went over a ramp to get the course. I had a good second lap except a little slide and the rest of my race was solid. I had an awesome time and finished 3rd.

Yolo Brew - Awards
The awards were at Yolo Brew this year. There was a raffle  and George threw out t-shirts (I got one for dad). When they got to my podium, I was the only one who showed up. I placed second overall for the series. I thank Clint, Jennifer and Logan Claassen for the courses and race series. Thanks to my sponsors - Roseville Cyclery, Specialized ambassador program, and Castelli clothing. Thanks to Julie Young, O2 Fitness for the training and coaching., Also, it was fun to see Team RC team mates Janell and Hank at the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment