Monday, May 30, 2016

Nevada Dirt Classic #2 2016

The race was at the top of the Pioneer Trail. I hadn't eaten anything but a smoothie 2 hours before the race and a Fig Bar 2 minutes before the race. I went out for a pre-ride with Christian Yergler, one of my friends who lives in Cool. I didn't know that we were going to almost miss our start. It was pouring rain when we got there but it stopped before the race. The course was very muddy and I had to change after the pre-ride, which made me almost miss my start.

I had a fantastic start and first lap. Almost 2 miles in Eli, the leader, had a mechanical, so I moved up into 3rd place. Then I bonked. On lap two, I bonked about 9 miles into my 14 mile race. I felt like I had nothing to stand up and sprint with in my legs. Finally, Eli caught me and left me in the dust. I had to walk up two of the hills and the lst 3 miles were miserable. There was a very slippery and rooty downhill followed by a steep uphill. I din't make it up the hill and had to run which made my calves hurt and burn. I got passed one more time and was pushed back to dead last. I was just happy I didn't get a DNF. By the end of the race, I was trembling from cold and hunger. I went straight to the car and ate all of the Fig Bars that were left. Then I changed into pants, yes, pants it was so cold and I hate to wear pants and tried to warm myself up. I was happy to leave that cold place and go to BigA's for a huge burger. I went with Christian so it was very fun.

Thanks to Roseville Cyclery for the bike tune ups. It worked perfectly even in bad conditions. Thanks to Julie for the coaching and talk after about the bonking and suggestions.



No comments:

Post a Comment