Monday, June 13, 2016

Sierra Cup Race #2 Pinenut Cracker

The first NV Dirt Classic was Sierra Cup #1. I was anxious to race another Sierra Cup Race. It was outside of Reno near Gardnerville. It was an early morning and I didn't eat before the race. I got car sick on the way partly because we had to take the truck and it was very cramped.

When we got there my mood wasn't great. I pre-rode a tiny section and got all worried about the last lap, multi-lap routes. Turns out it was fine and well marked during the race. Before the race, I tried to stay out of the wind but that caused my legs to get cold. I started out feeling like I was carrying 2 sandbags.

A group of four racers left me in the dust so I was alone for the rest of the race. My attitude during the race killed me and the course was hard. I was glad to see the finish line. But when I came around the last sketchy, dippy corner, I saw a kid lying on the ground. I instantly noted that it was my friend Crispin. I follow him on Strava and he's on the Reno-Tahoe team. Adin, another racer, said that he hit the dip and went over his bars. He had a concussion but I'm sure he'll be back soon.

I ended up third but wouldn't have been on the podium if Crispin hadn't crashed.  It wasn't a deserved finish.
Thanks to Roseville Cyclery for keeping my bike in perfect running condition and Julie for the extra strength training.

(Typist's note: I didn't get any pictures before or during the race because it was kind of a rotten day. He didn't want the podium picture included)

No comments:

Post a Comment